Making extra mixture is a great idea as its even better the next day!
What you will need:
- 2 acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeded
- 1 lb pork sausage, casing removed
- 1 large onion diced thinly
- coconut oil or fake butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium apple (sweet) cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
On a parchment lined baking sheet, place the four halves of acorn squash – open side down – on the sheet and bake for 30 min.
In the meantime, caramelize the onions by cooking on low heat with the coconut oil or butter for 20-25 minutes, stirring often. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
Using the same frying pan, add the sausage and cook through, crumbling into small pieces. Add the apples and herbs and continue to cook for a few more minutes, letting the apples get soft.
Add the onions to the sausage mixture and mix until combined.
Once the squash are cooked, flip over the halves and fill with the mixture.
Enjoy while hot 🙂